What Jesus calls us to do and why we serve…
Members of the Outreach Committee at United Reformed Church find great joy in our outreach efforts, because it is through this work that we can be "Christ to the world", by spreading His love locally and internationally.
What we pray for... committee members also share a great burden - the responsibility of discerning how best to be good stewards of the gifts and resources which God has entrusted to us. We welcome your prayer support.
“While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people putting their gifts into the collection box. Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two pennies. “I assure you,” he said, “this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.” — Luke 21:1-4
How we answer that call...
- Foreign Missions: We currently support missions in Hungary and Oman.
- Denominational Giving: We support the Reformed Church in America.
- Emergency Relief: Most recently, aid for US tornado and flood victims.
- Support of Local Social Service Agencies: Samaritan Homeless Interim Program (SHIP), the Food Bank Network of Somerset County, Safe and Sound (provides counselling and safe housing for victims of domestic and/or sexual abuse and human trafficking), The Lyon’s Women’s VA Treatment Unit, the Martin Luther King Youth Center, Friends of Somerset County Youth, and Raritan Valley Habitat for Humanity, to name a few.
- Support of local first responders: monetary donations to the Somerville Borough Police Fire Departments and Rescue Squad.
- Church World Services CROP Hunger Walk: Join us annually in October as we walk to raise money to fight hunger worldwide and also raise funds for local food programs.
- Food collections, Christmas gift drives and White Gift Sunday.
When we meet...